Protesters block Jacinta Allan’s exit from summit in Ballarat

Article by Adam Spencer and Bryan Hoadley, courtesy of The Advocate.

29.08.2025 

Ballarat’s CBD has come to a standstill, and protesters have blocked Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan’s exit from Civic Hall with climate change activists, emergency services and transmission line protestors all flooding the precinct for Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s visit to the city.

Numerous CFA vehicles were circling the block around Civic Hall with tractors also stationed on Mair Street on Friday, August 29, with the Prime Minister in Ballarat as part of the Bush Summit.

Today’s speakers also include opposition leader Sussan Ley and Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan.

Farmers protesting at Friday's bush summit blocked Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan from leaving Civic Hall, by parking tractors and doing laps of the Creswick Road area near the Civic Hall. Picture by Lachlan Bence

After addressing the crowd inside Civic Hall, Premier Jacinta Allan was blocked by protesters as she tried to leave the event in her car.

The farmers, angry at the new Emergency Services levy and plans for transmission lines running through their properties, drove and parked tractors at the Western side of the precinct where Ms Allan left Civic Hall.

Ahead of speaking, Mr Albanese announced $1 billion in low-interest loans would be provided for drought and flood-affected farmers.

Ballarat police have warned they will have a visible presence across the city for today’s event.

“Officers will be patrolling on foot and positioned along key roads to help manage traffic and ensure safety,” a statement on the Eyewatch – Ballarat Police Service Area Facebook page said.

“We encourage the community to plan ahead and allow extra time when travelling through the CBD.”

Farmers in tractors were protesting by driving laps of the Civic Hall. Picture by Kate Healy

Event has ‘no interest in the people,’ protestor says

Buninyong resident Allen Harvie is protesting the Albanese government’s lack of action on climate change and was critical of the Bush Summit’s ties to the mining industry.

Australian Mining magnate Gina Rinehart has spoken at previous Bush Summit events; however, she is not listed as a speaker in Ballarat.

Pictures by Lachlan Bence

Her company, Hancock Prospecting, is also one of the event’s headline sponsors.

“It (the Bush Summit) is clearly a mining-sponsored event,” Mr Harvie said.

“It’s got no interest in the people.”

Mr Harvie also said he had attempted to get tickets to the event, but had been locked out.

“We tried, but unfortunately, we’re not allowed to in,” he said

“I don’t know anybody that actually got a ticket, it was clearly being screened.

“This was always going to be a corporate event, which is the way it’s panning out.”

Mr Harvie was one of many environmental protestors at the event, calling on the Albanese government to release the climate report.

“We would just like them to get the facts out on the table,” he said.

“We would like them to come out with tangible 2035 targets. We would basically like them to start acting now.

“They’ve got the largest Labor majority in history, and they’re still not acting; it’s a wasted opportunity. Gough (Whitlam) would be rolling in his grave.”

As well as climate change activists, groups protesting the new Victorian emergency services levy and transmission line projects are also out in force.

Sulky farmer James Plush said he was in attendance to support his neighbours who were going to have “monstrosities” put through their properties.

He said the closest power lines to his farm would be about four kilometres away, adding that he had no interest in attending inside the Bush Summit event.

“I don’t really want to hear their untruths, would be my way of putting it,” Mr Plush said.

Another farmer in attendance was Skipton Country Fire Authority volunteer Vernon Dawson, who was protesting the Victorian Government’s increase to the emergency services levy.

He described the levy as a “crippling tax”, saying he was at the event because Ms Allan was in attendance.

“We’re going to be expected to do more as volunteers and pay more for it. Get stuffed,” he said.

“My emergency services levy two years ago was about $3000, last year it jumped to $10,000 under the new regime, and it was going to be $30,000 in two years.

“That’s the ridiculous sort of stuff this premier is putting on us.”

The Skipton farmer, who has also been a CFA volunteer for about 40 years, said he would continue to fight the levy, despite the 12-month postponement of increased payments.

“She (Jacinta Allan) should be charged with assault,” he said.

“I’ve done more than eight years as (a CFA) captain over a couple of stints.

“I’ve taken strike teams all around the state and interstate, so I’ve done my by bit, and I just feel that I’ve been really kicked in the guts with this tax.”

 

 

Back to top